In Memory of Bubby Smith Denham

Born 09 September 1991
died 16 May 2008

On September 9th, 1991, my sister’s cat had a litter of kittens. My son at the time was four years old and wanted another cat so that our other cat, Rockey would have somebody to play with. Bubby at the time was actually named, “Tubby”. But as Bubby got older, he disliked that name and asked me to stop calling him “Tubby” because he felt that we were making fun of his weight. So the “T” turned into a “B” and Bubby it was. Funny how that name fits him, too because in Yiddish, it is a form of grandmother and that’s how he acted.

In 2001, Bubby was diagnosed with having diabetes. He bravely took his shots and never complained unless of course, he was in a grumpy mood. After a while, we were able to call Bubby to get his shot and he would be there. Not willingly, but you could tell by the look on his face that he was thinking, “Alright hurry this up. C’mon, let’s get it over with”.

Bubby was the kind of the cat that when he wanted to eat, he would let you know all about it and not give up. He had a whiny meow and he knew if he whined enough, we’d give in and he’d get his way. Food was his passion and his downfall. He had a thing for McDonald’s french fries and if I tried to give him a different fast food french fries, he wouldn’t eat it because he knew the difference.

Bubby also enjoyed sweets such as cake. Now mind you, he didn’t get these foods all the time. Just once in a blue moon. The only thing he did get everyday was the milk from my cereal only because he begged me for it. How could I say no? He had me wrapped around his paw.

In the middle of January, he was diagnosed with having a mega colon. Bubby was forced to take medicine to help loosen his stool. Oh how he hated taking that liquid medicine! And it’s funny, because when I would come home from work, I’d ask Bubby if he pooped today or not. He would proceed to walk into the laundry room where the cat boxes are, get into his cat box and then try to poop for me. Sometimes he was able to, and other times he wasn’t. How many cats do you know that can poop on command? Bubby continued to take his lactulose until his last day.

By March of this year, Bubby was losing weight and his teeth looked like they haven’t been cleaned in years even though he just got a dental cleaning two months prior. In April, he was drooling and we couldn’t figure out why. And by the end of April, he was drooling blood. Found out that he had lost three of his bottom teeth and there was a hole where those teeth used to be. That’s what was causing his to bleed. But little did we know at the time, it was much worse.

Bubby was scheduled to see his vet on May 21st because we were concerned about his teeth lose and bleeding. On Friday May 16th, I came home for lunch to find that the side of Bubby’s face was swollen. I thought maybe it was because of him wiping the lactulose and blood off his face and it made his fur stiff. So I brushed it down. But that was the problem. I then decided to wash his face with a warm cloth and that’s when I felt the lump under his jaw. Took him to the vet that day and it was then that he was diagnosed with cancer. Our hearts were broken! That is what was causing Bubby’s constipation, weight loss, drooling, loss of teeth-cancer!

I asked Bubby if he was ready to go to the Rainbow Bridge and he told me that he was ready to leave his old body. My husband and I spent our last night with Bubby in the living room. We “slept” on the couches because we wanted Bubby to be able to reach us and not have to struggle by trying to jump up onto our bed which is high off the ground. Bubby went from one couch to the next the entire night. He knew and he was ready. And by 7 in the morning, true to his character, he was demanding that I feed him his breakfast.

Afterward, I brought Bubby upstairs to the kitty reading room and showed him the pictures of Rockey and Jack. I told Rockey and Jack to be on the lookout for Bubby because he was going to be there with them shortly. The tears were flowing from my eyes. I then told Bubby that he was going to have two shots-one to make him feel relaxed and one that will make his heart stop. I asked him to go into the light when he got to that point and how Rockey and Jack would be there waiting for him.

At the vet, we cried and cried. But Bubby was brave and didn’t pitch a fuss. I asked him for one more kiss on my forehead and at first, he told me, “”no””. But I didn’t want him to leave me without giving me one last kiss goodbye. His idea of a kiss was to put his lips on my forehead and keep it there for a few minutes. So I asked him again and this time, he gave me my kiss. Daddy asked for one, but he didn’t want to give his daddy a kiss goodbye. The thing they shared was to snuggle. Bubby enjoyed holding his daddy’s arm at night.

Bubby, mommy will forever cherish our last night together. I’m missing your kisses on my forehead something terrible. And when I come home for lunch, your not walking down the stairs to greet me with your smiling face and then telling me to hurry up with scooping the cat boxes so that I can feed you. But I know you’re here with us in spirit and one day, we’ll meet again. I love you Boo Bear. *wiping tears away*

When I am gone, release me, let me go;
I have so many things to see and do.
You mustn’t tie yourself to me with tears,
Just be happy that we had so many years.

I gave you my love, you can only guess
How much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
But now it’s time I traveled alone.

So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must,
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It’s only for a while that we must part,
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won’t be far away, for life goes on,
So if you need me, call, and I will come.
Though you can’t see, or touch, I’ll be near
And if you listen with your heart, you’ll hear
All of my love around you, soft and clear.

And then, when you must come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile, and a Welcome Home.

—Source unknown